Reaching Young Audiences: Serial Fiction and Cross-Media Storyworlds for Children and Young Audiences (RYA)
The media use of Danish children and young people has changed dramatically in the past few years. Fictional content and ‘media snacks’ on Netflix and YouTube are now a major part of their media diet while their encounters with national film, TV and online fiction are declining.
In close collaboration with international scholars and national industry partners this research project combines production and audience analysis when studying the current production and reception of film, TV and online fiction for children and young audiences.
The aim of this research is to provide detailed knowledge about the production and reception of film, TV and online fiction for young audiences through in-depth analysis of the current strategies for creating engaging fiction for them. The project analyses the notions of digital childhoods and best practice in the current production frameworks and links this to extensive qualitative reception studies based on the hypothesis that much can be learned, from an academic as well as an industry perspective, by bringing production and audience studies closer together.
The focus is on Danish fiction for children and young audiences, but the project also conducts comparative case studies in Norway, the UK and Australia.
- Pia Majbritt Jensen, Aarhus University
- Petar Mitric, KU (will function as post doc from January 1 2020)
Anna Potter, USC, Australia
Andrea Esser, University of Roehampton, London
Inge Ejbye Sørensen, University of Glasgow
Jakob Ion Wille, The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation
Jeanette Steemers, King’s College, London
Stine Liv Johansen, Center for børnelitteratur og medier, Aarhus Universitet
Trisha Dunleavy, Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand
Vilde Schanke Sundet, University of Oslo
- The Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR), Head of Fiction for DR Ultra, Jonas Kryger Hansen
- TV 2 Danmark, Head of fiction Katrine Vogelsang
- The National Film School of Denmark, Principal Vinca Wiedemann
- Nordisk Film & TV Fond
- Nordvision, General Secretary Henrik Hartmann
The RYA project is funded by Independent Research Fund Denmark 2019 - 2023.
- Project seminar and network meeting with Danish producers of children’s content in Copenhagen, 5 September 2019
- Project presentation at the University of Lund, Sweden, 19 September 2019
- Project panel at the conference The Youthification of Television and Screen Culture, University of Groningen, NL, 24-25 October 2019
- Project presentation at 3rd KIDS Regio Forum 2019: Towards a Vital European children’s film culture, 27-28 June 2019, in Weimar